The Cavascum Veterinary Clinic warns residents to keep xylitol away from pets Washington Co. News

KAWASKUM — The KAWASKUM Veterinary Clinic issued a reminder on social media Thursday to be wary of giving pets products containing xylitol.

According to the announcement post on Facebook, anything containing xylitol (also known as birch sugar, wood sugar, or birch bark extract) can be fatal to pets.

The post notes that the clinic is seeing ingredients added to food or medicine that citizens don’t even think to double-check.

Get daily updates from Daily News delivered directly to your email inbox.

Some such items are: medicines labeled for “children”, flavored probiotics and/or other medicines, some brands of peanut butter and anything labeled “sugar free”.

The clinic also notes that some ingredient lists can be confusing or overwhelming, and happily encourages anyone to send a photo of the product if they have more questions or concerns.

Xylitol poisoning is serious and can occur within minutes. If you think your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, please contact the Kewaskum Veterinary Clinic at 262-626-2380 or the emergency center immediately.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top