The Caldwell Fire Department offers tips to keep you and your pets safe.

CALDWELL, Idaho – The Caldwell Fire Department advises:

  • Be sure to secure heat lamps to prevent animals from knocking them over
  • Be sure to clean the cobwebs from the outer protective casing of the heat bulb
  • Remove any bedding near heat lamps that could catch fire.
  • Inspect all electrical appliances and heating appliances for any damage or frayed ends before use.
  • Do not use extension cords for heat lamps as they are prone to overheating.

((The following is a transcript from the broadcast story.)

“I never thought this was going to happen,” Caldwell resident Hernan Mata Rosales said.

A Christmas Eve fire caught Caldwell residents off guard.

“Honestly I was very worried,” said Rosales. “My parents are out of state right now and I was here alone so I felt responsible.”

The family was not home at the time and no one was hurt, but a little girl’s bedroom was destroyed.

The family will be able to stay in the home after the inspection is complete, but fire investigators found a pile of extension cords running on a heat lamp. Where the chicken coop caught fire.

“Heat lamps can cause fires because they get very hot and the most important thing is to make sure they are safe,” said Deputy Fire Marshal Lisa Richard.

“This time of year it’s important to make sure your heating and electrical appliances are in good working order,” Richard said.

“If you’re using any electrical equipment,” Richard said, “make sure you inspect for any damage, fraying, anything like that.”

As for using extension cords…

“Do not use any extension cords, they must be plugged directly into an outlet. Extension cords overheat and fail.”

If you’re looking for ways to keep outdoor animals warm, such as chickens in a coop, be sure to keep the area clear of cobwebs or anything that could damage the protective barrier on the heat lamp bulb. , as well as the bed that could potentially collapse. Fire

All electrical equipment should also be properly secured.

“Animals are moving around and they can easily knock over them if they’re not properly secured,” Richard said.

This fire was a terrible accident.

“You never know, you never know,” Rosales said.

But thankfully there were no casualties, and a lesson in fire safety was learned.

“Be thankful you have a family, take care of them,” Rosales said.

(translation of tags)Caldwell Idaho

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top