Southside homeowner recovers after running into burning house to save pets – 104.5 WOKV

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A homeowner is recovering from a fire that sent him to the hospital with life-threatening injuries Sunday. All this happened when he allegedly went back inside the house to save his pets.


Action News Jax spoke with the woman who called 9-1-1. She, along with other neighbors, said the man who owned the home was transferred to the Gainesville burn unit on Monday.

9-1-1 Operator: “Okay, do you see the smoke.”

Now, the 9-1-1 caller said he saw her go back into the house when she told him her dogs were still inside.

Neighbor: ‚ÄúThere’s black smoke coming out of the garage.

“Within minutes, it just got thicker, darker, darker. Scary.”

It was a scary scene for Emily Thibault who said the smoke was spreading quickly. So, she called 9-1-1.

“My husband, and I, and our baby, were driving through the neighborhood, we were coming home from a friend’s house and my husband saw smoke and he’s actually a JFRD firefighter and said, ‘9-1-1. Call on, it’s definitely a house fire,’ said Thibault.

Around 4 p.m. Sunday, the Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department responded to a house fire on Ashglen Drive.

Thibault said her husband knocked on her neighbor’s door to get her out.

To hear more about this story, tune in to FOX30 at 10 p.m.

(Download: Free Action Newsjacks app for alerts as news breaks)

(Sign up: Action News Jacques Daily Headlines Newsletter)

Click here To download free Action News Jax news and weather apps, Click here To download Action News Jacks Now app for your smart TV Click here Action News Jacks to live stream.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top