Smoke detectors save families, pets in Scottsbluff fire overnight

Fire officials are crediting smoke detectors with alerting a Scottsbluff couple to a fire at their home Saturday, allowing the couple to escape safely with their pets.

Scottsbluff Fire Chief Tom Shingle says firefighters arrived at the residence in the 1000 block of 11th Avenue within three minutes of a 1:30 a.m. call, which found smoke and flames from the roof of the single-story home. Found flames coming out.

Shingle says the fire started in the back of the structure, which contained work in the soffit and attic, and while the majority of the fire was extinguished in about 30 minutes, smoke lingered for about three hours afterward. A complete extinguishment was not declared. and difficult spaces.

No injuries were reported to residents or firefighters, despite icy conditions around the home and in the area posing additional hazards. Of the sixteen firefighters on the scene, several slipped and fell while carrying hoses and equipment, but were not injured.

Shingle says the fire was accidental, caused by a heating element in contact with combustible materials, and property damage is estimated at about $70,000.

Gering Fire responded with mutual aid, and additional assistance was received from Scottsbluff Police, Regional West EMS, Nebraska Public Power, and Black Hills Energy.

Firefighter Ministry was also on the scene, tending to the immediate needs of the couple and their pets.

Shingle says the Scottsbluff Fire would like to remind everyone that working smoke alarms save lives.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top