A century-old apartment building fire near Antioch left 15 residents, some of whom had to be rescued, and killed several pets on Wednesday.
The Antioch Fire Protection District responded to the 24200 block of North Avenue in unincorporated Antioch around 3:08 pm Wednesday for a report of a structure fire.
Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the second floor of a rear apartment, Antioch Fire Chief Jon Cookfair said.
The building is a four-unit residence and firefighters encountered heavy flames on the second floor.
Firefighters began dousing the fire and rescued several occupants, Cookfair said.
Residents needed help from the balcony as they were in the process of rescuing pets.
The fire broke out in an area with no fire hydrants and crews had to haul water from Antioch to the scene, Cookfair said.
The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was activated at the second alarm level, bringing fire departments from throughout Lake County, McHenry County and Wisconsin to the scene.
One resident was injured and is being evaluated by medical personnel. No firefighters were injured.
Cookfair said 15 residents and 12-15 pets were displaced. Several pets were killed in the fire.
According to the Lakes Region Historical Society, the building is known as the William Musch Home.
The large building, located on the northwest corner of North Avenue and Trevor Road, was built by Musch, a German immigrant born in 1877.
He ran a successful business and moved to Antioch in 1918 where he acquired a large tract of land and built a home for his family, the Lakes Region Historical Society said.
The property was later purchased and converted into a combined school and residence.
The American Red Cross was requested to assist the displaced. All four apartment units are uninhabitable until repairs are made.
(Tags Translation)Antioch(T)Apartment Fire(T)House Fire(T)William Musch Home