Firefighters rescue people, pets from smoke-filled Cedar Rapids apartment complex – Homegrown Iowan

A cat is taken from an apartment fire Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023, at Chalet South, 210 19th St. NE, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Residents were being treated for smoke inhalation. (Photo/Cindy Haddish)

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Multiple rescue personnel responded to a reported fire at a Cedar Rapids apartment building, where witnesses saw at least one person resuscitated in the parking lot.

Police and firefighters were called to the Chalet South, 210 19th St. NE, Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023, at approximately 2:15 p.m., said Mike Bitten, spokesman for public safety for the city of Cedar Rapids.

Batin said several people were being treated for smoke inhalation, but he did not know the exact number or extent of injuries, as crews were still at the scene.

“When I arrived at the scene, they were already trying to get people out of the windows, realizing that the smoke was too heavy to go into the halls,” he said.

Rescue personnel can also be seen lifting pets from the building.

Chris Cornell, whose grandfather lives in the complex but was there at the time, said he saw smoke coming from the top floor when he arrived and saw four ambulances leaving the scene.

Preston Sullivan, 21, who has lived in an upper-level apartment in the 24-unit building since June, said his father called him at work to tell him about the fire. He wasn’t sure where he would be staying, as it looked like the building was heavily damaged.

Her father, Rob Sullivan, said he heard four people had been taken to the hospital and saw one person performing CPR in the parking lot. The man’s condition was not known.

Check back for updates and see more from the scene below: (Photos © Cindy Haddish/Homegrown Ivan)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top