Excess leave can be a problem for pets.

Morgan McCabe Times Correspondent

Hold the mistletoe and poinsettia.

These are just two things that make the holidays fun and bright for you, but can be dangerous for your pets.

“With all the new stimuli that comes with the holidays, decorations, family and friends coming and going, that’s when they’ll eat bad things or run out the front door,” said Adrian Moreno, 30. A famous boxer breeder with years. Experience with dog training, especially aggressive behavior modification.

To prevent pets from slipping out when guests arrive, Moreno said it’s best to supervise your pets “or secure them in an appropriate place” such as a quiet room with a bed and safe toys so May they rest in peace. .

“Remember that pets perceive and respond to their world very differently than we do,” Marino said. “Sudden noises, smells and changes in schedule can cause behavioral changes.”

During the holidays, watch for signs of stress such as aggression, barking, chewing or eliminating indoors. They recommend spending time with pets, making sure they are well fed and exercised regularly and giving them a quiet space and engaging toys to reduce stress.

Freda White, executive director of the Humane Society of Northwest Indiana in Gary, also noted the importance of providing a calm and safe environment, especially for new pets who can be overwhelmed by unfamiliar people and activities.

“Pets can be bombarded with people visiting them during the holidays, which can be overwhelming, so we should give them their own safe space,” White said.

Like overstimulation, fatty human foods can cause harm and should be avoided.

“Pancreatitis is probably the most common food-related problem we see in cats and dogs during the holidays,” said Dr. Janice Bell, a veterinarian at Morethland Animal Hospital in Valparaiso.

Symptoms of pancreatitis include loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, Bell said.

“Guests think they’re giving pets the right to eat under the table, but sometimes they can’t because of allergies or they’re on a special diet. Better outcomes and fewer hospitalizations. To avoid it, go to the doctor as soon as you have symptoms,” Bell said. “We can do a quick blood test, treat at home and send you home with medication. “

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, unfit human food for your pet includes cooked bones. fatty, spicy foods; alcoholic beverages; grape raisin chocolate; onions; Coffee and raw or undercooked eggs, meat or fish. Also make sure no medications are accessible to pets.

“Anytime it’s a question of ingestion, call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661) to find out if there’s an overdose,” said Casey Osterman, a certified and registered veterinary technician at Animal Urgent Care at Crown. Whether or not a trip to the vet is necessary.Point: Have your vet’s number handy and know how to reach after-hours emergency services if you suspect your pet has ingested something They should not have, including wrapping paper, broken jewelry or tinsel.

Moreno mentioned that poinsettias are also on the list of “bad things” for pet food. If ingested, they can cause mouth irritation, vomiting, and diarrhea.

And other holiday plants like holly, mistletoe and yew are toxic to many animals, according to the American Veterinary Medicine Association.

Kim Daugherty, veterinary assistant at the St. John Animal Clinic, said fire starter logs can also present obstruction and chemical reaction hazards if eaten. “The ingredients in the logs vary so we recommend that if your pet gets one, call the Pet Poison Helpline, which has a list of the ingredients in the different logs. This information is for your It will help the doctor to determine the treatment on a case-by-case basis.

The ASPCA recommends keeping breakable jewelry, batteries, electrical cords, and lighted candles out of reach of pets to prevent injury, electrocution, or burns.

Bells hanging from the lower branches of the tree will alert you if your pet tries to climb a tree, eat pine needles or drink tree water. Food gifts are kept off the floor. They also recommend securing Christmas trees with plant stakes and wire to keep them upright.

Also leave out the tonsils, which are attractive and can cause surgery if eaten. Hilary Logson, veterinary assistant at the Hobart Animal Clinic, recommends seeing a veterinarian if your pet eats tinsel. “If you see it coming out of them, don’t pull it,” he added. “It can become anchored in the intestines and the stretching can cause contractions, requiring surgery.”

If your vacation plans include traveling in a car with pets, buckle or crate them and close the windows to prevent escape or injury, says the Animal Humane Society.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top