Q: I would like to plant hellebores in my backyard borders this winter, but a friend warned me that they are poisonous. I don’t want to put my cat and dog at risk. Should I be worried?
A: Hellebores are wonderful Winter flowers In pink, white, purple, and green, they bloom with nodding heads. But your friend is right – they are. Plants poisonous to petsCauses various health concerns if ingested. So, to keep yours Pet friendly backyardIt is important to know the dangers and how to avoid them.
Dangers of hellebores to your pet
Dr. Ray Spragleya veterinarian has warned that the leaves, stems and roots of hellebores are poisonous to pets.
Ingestion can cause symptoms of hellebore poisoning. These include lethargy, abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, excessive thirst, difficulty breathing, mouth irritation, paralysis, low blood pressure, and even seizures, Ray List. Additionally, sap from the plant can cause skin or mouth irritation in pets.
The good news is that the bitter taste of hellebores can go away. As Ray points out, it’s not possible for a pet to drink enough to develop severe symptoms of hellebore poisoning.
Still, it’s always worth erring on the side of caution if you suspect your pet has ingested this poisonous plant, contact your local veterinarian immediately for advice. As Dr. Sara Ochoa Hound Games says, ‘Fast action saves lives!’
Dr. Ray Spergley is the founder of Zen Dog Veterinary Care, a home veterinary practice serving pets in both New York City and Westchester.
Dr. Sara Ochoa is a physician assistant at Hound Games and a graduate of St. George’s University with a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. She has been practicing veterinary medicine for the past five years, treating small animals and exotic animals.
How to protect your pet from hellebore poisoning.
‘To play it safe, keep hellebores away from areas your pets have access to,’ advises Sarah. You may want to place them on your porch in a container out of reach of your four-legged friends, or plant them behind a container. Pet fenceFor example.
‘Be alert when flowering perennials first emerge in late winter and early spring, when pets are more likely to sample them out of curiosity,’ adds. Mark James Pet care advice website PetKeener.com. He also recommends cutting off dead leaves and flowers (which should be safely disposed of).
Mark James is a pet enthusiast who loves to share tips and stories about our furry friends on popular websites, such as PetKeener.com. As the proud pet parent of two rescue pups and having grown up with all kinds of animals, he understands firsthand both the joys and challenges of pet ownership.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are hellebores dangerous to humans?
Yes, hellebores are poisonous to humans as well as pets, and should never be eaten. Also be careful when handling them, as they can irritate the skin. A pair of Gardening gloves, like this one from Terrain Beeswaxwill help protect your hands.
Are hellebores in vases dangerous to pets?
‘If you do display flowers indoors, keep them somewhere high up, out of your fur baby’s reach,’ says Sarah.
As it goes for hellebores rose Festive indoor plantsRemember, too, that all parts of the plant are poisonous, so be sure to pick up any flowers or leaves that fall to the floor.
When planting your own Winter gardenIf you have pets or small children running around, you may want to stay away from hellebores altogether – similar to poisonous spring bulbs. Snow drops And Daffodils. Camelliaswho are beautiful, Winter flowering shrubsA safe planting option is for early outdoor color.